This week's episode of The Sporkful podcast is up! Listen through the player or iTunes/Podcasts app. (And please subscribe!)
"Is there anyone here who doesn't know what a French Tickler is?" Mimi Sheraton asks the audience at one point in this week's show.
(In case you don't know, a French Tickler is a condom with "little flowery add-ons...that are supposed to enhance the experience," according to Mimi.)
That's right, our special series, Ask Mimi, is back with another new episode -- taped live on stage with legendary food writer Mimi Sheraton. In each episode, Mimi offers advice on food and life to listeners and celebrity guests.
This week, Mimi helps a woman who needs advice about planning her wedding in New Zealand, far from her family (in the U.S.). Mimi swears by her own approach to getting married without her family present:
"I wanted to do something meaningful and lasting all on my own," Mimi recalls of her first elopement, when she was 19. "I guess I very much wanted to break away from parental control."
(Mimi eloped again when she was 27, and that marriage lasted almost 60 years!)
Plus, Dan's mom calls in to ask Mimi for advice about how she should address Dan's dad's addiction to Subway sandwiches.
And renowned pastry chef Jacques Torres (above right, with comedian Nicole Byer, in an episode of their Netflix show Nailed It!), debates the merits of Mimi's beloved frozen Milky Way candy bars.
If you want to hear the first season of Ask Mimi, sign up for Stitcher Premium with code SPORKFUL. The first month's free and you get access to our whole back catalog plus much more Stitcher goodness, like all the concerts from Weird Al's last tour.
- Go to Babeths.com and enter promo code SPORKFUL18 for free shipping on all samplers or your order of $50 or more
- Go to Sonos.com to learn more about starting your smart home sound system
- Go to SplendidTable.org (or where ever you get your podcasts) to listen to The Splendid Table podcast
- Go to Ritual.com/Sporkful to start your ritual today
Interstitial music in this episode by Black Label Music:
- "Burley Cue" by Steve Pierson
- "Happy With You" by Ken Brahmstedt
- "Blues For Anniebelle" by Ken Brahmstedt
Photos: Gustavo Campos Paulino and courtesy of Netflix