This week's episode of The Sporkful podcast is up! Listen through the player or iTunes/Podcasts app. (And please subscribe!)
"What has interested me so much is how many of the food questions were really life questions," Mimi Sheraton notes, at the end of this week's show, the final installment of our special series, Ask Mimi.
"We express so many of our feelings and hatreds and animosities and resentments in what we say about people and their food," she adds.
This week, in addition to those parting words, Mimi addresses the etiquette of free food samples -- from ice cream to caviar to prosciutto:
"It is very very common to do food tasting at luxury food counters," she says. "I would never buy [prosciutto] without asking to taste."
Plus, Mimi advises comedian and NPR host Ophira Eisenberg (below) on how to cope with her picky eater husband, who won't eat olives and "squishy" foods.
And Mimi shares her thoughts on eating at the ballpark, how ice cream should be scooped, and why we should bring back a very specific type of soup bowl that's now out of style.
If you want to hear the first season of Ask Mimi, sign up for Stitcher Premium with code SPORKFUL. The first month's free and you get access to our whole back catalog plus much more Stitcher goodness, like all the concerts from Weird Al's last tour.
- Go to ChosenFoods.com/Sporkful and use promo code sporkful to get 50% off your order
- Go to Ritual.com/Sporkful to start your ritual today
- Go to Sonos.com to learn more about starting your smart home sound system
- Go to SplendidTable.org (or where ever you get your podcasts) to listen to The Splendid Table podcast
Interstitial music in this episode by Black Label Music:
- "Burley Cue" by Steve Pierson
- "Happy With You" by Ken Brahmstedt
- "Mellophone" by JT Bates
- "Morning Blues" by JT Bates
- "Cuttlefish Shooter 2" by Steve Pierson
- "Blues For Anniebelle" by Ken Brahmstedt
Photos: Vitor Hirtsch and courtesy of Ophira Eisenberg