For Elias, a Sporkful listener in LA, and his former roommate, Paul in Brooklyn, the feud started with an innocent craving for burgers.
“When I started scrolling through an app to place the order [for burgers], Paul was like ‘Oh, but we’re not gonna order [a burger] to deliver,’" Elias (below) recalls.
They spent the rest of the night arguing -- with Elias pointing out the convenience of delivery, and Paul horrified by the toll it would take on their meal.
"On the way to your house, [your burger is] getting destroyed," Paul (below) argues in this week's episode. "You’re going to have a pile of hot garbage -- or cold garbaged usually -- that is not worth eating."
This week on The Sporkful, Dan and Serious Eats food science guru Kenji Lopez-Alt (author of The Food Lab cookbook) try to help Paul and Elias resolve their burger feud.
“As a piece of hot meat sits in its residual heat," Kenji explains, "moisture from the inside and steam evaporating recondense back on that surface."
"What you end up with 15 minutes [or] 30 minutes later is very different from what went into that package in the first place," he concludes.
But is it a worse burger?
Listen in to the full episode to hear the verdict. Plus, Kenji answers more of your food science questions -- like: Is duck fat overhyped?
- Go to Arhaus.com/Sporkful to learn more about Arhaus's dining sale.
- Go to Modcloth.com and enter promo code SPORKFUL25 to get 25% off your order of $100 or more.
- Go to SpiceIslands.com/Sporkful for spice facts and recipes.
- Go to Sunbasket.com/Sporkful to get $35 off your first order.
- Go to TastyBite.com to learn more about Tasty Bite's ready-to-eat Thai, Indian, and Asian dishes.
Interstitial music in this episode from Black Label Music:
- "Sun So Sunny" by Calvin Dashielle
- "Comin' For A Change" by Stephen Clinton Sullivan
- "New Old" by JT Bates
Photos: FlickrCC/wEnDy; courtesy of Paul + Elias