This week on The Sporkful, Dan and Serious Eats food science guru Kenji Lopez-Alt, author of The Food Lab cookbook, are taking your questions.
First up, Ali in Boston calls in with a pressing query about what makes a slice of pizza a slice.
Seems like a simple query, right? But Ali is a neuroscientist, and he has a very particular definition of a slice of pizza:
"My brother and my father both agree that a pizza slice should fit in your hand," Ali says. "I disagree with that."
"I think a slice is any portion of a pizza that’s less than half," he adds. "But I also think pizza should be cut in equal parts, so it would be one-third of a pizza."
Grab your protractor (and your pizza wheel!) and listen in to the full episode to hear Dan and Kenji puzzle out the geometric definition of a slice of pizza.
Later in the episode, John from Indiana asks if leftover cake should be refrigerated or stored at room temperature to achieve optimal texture and flavor.
The answer involves a brilliant dessert hack invented by Kenji's mom.
And we’ll learn why spreading half your cream cheese on each side of your bagel creates a different eating experience from spreading all the cream cheese on just one side.
(If you're into woodworking, you probably already know the answer.)
- Go to Daily-Harvest.com and enter promo code "SPORKFUL" to get three free items in your first box.
- Go to Sunbasket.com/Sporkful to get $35 off your first order.
- Go to WorldCampusInfo.com to learn how Penn State World Campus can help you reach your educational goals.
Interstitial music in this episode from Black Label Music:
- "Still In Love With You" by Stephen Clinton Sullivan
- "Stay For The Summer" by William Van De Crommert
- "New Old" by JT Bates